Get inspired to make one of these easy and quick DIY hoodie costumes for Halloween! They work great for both kids or adults and boys or girls!
Halloween is coming up fast and you might need a quick and easy last minute costume idea! The best way to make a simple costume is to base it on a hoodie.
Hoodie costumes work great for colder atmospheres like an outdoor party, work, or cold weather areas. You can make so many characters and costumes starting with a hoodie!
Some of these projects require something to be put on the hoodie like heat transfer vinyl, felt, or a cape. Some of the projects have fabric sewn onto them to turn the sweatshirt into something more. Some of these projects are a hoodie with added accessories to create the right look.
Which one is your favorite?
Do you like making costumes and sewing for Halloween? Check out these ideas!
- free patterns for costumes
- Upcycled costumes for Halloween
- DIY costume ideas
- Halloween sewing projects
- DIY T-Shirt costume ideas
- DIY classic Halloween costumes
Why Make DIY Costumes?
I love to make DIY costumes for my kids for lots of different reasons. I love that I can make something unique that they want and that they’ll love. We live in a cold area so I always have to plan costumes to be warm so that they don’t have to wear a jacket or coat over it.
I almost always save money by reusing fabric and clothing from my stash and around our home, and I have found that reusing clothing saves me time.
Homemade DIY costumes use stronger and more durable fabric that will last through months and years of dress up and play time. I love that the costumes will last longer than one night of trick-or-treating.
Where to get solid clothes?
I have a couple of different places where I look for solid clothing for children. It all depends on what I’m looking for and what I need.
- When I need a solid matching set (like a t-shirt and leggings or a sweatshirt and sweatpants), I first look at primary.com. There are so many basic options in all the styles I love.
- When I need a t-shirt or sweatshirt in a very specific color, I first look at Jiffy Shirts. There are so many colors in different t-shirt blends.
- When I need something fast and I’m not picky about the color, I look at Walmart* either for my pickup or shopping in person.
If you make something using this sewing project, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!
I believe small sewing moments can create great joy. Find your own “right” way to sew. -Heather