Get inspired to make one of these easy and quick DIY T-shirt costumes for Halloween! They work great for both kids or adults and boys or girls!
Halloween is coming up fast and you might need a quick and easy last minute costume idea! The best way to make a simple costume is to base it on a t-shirt.
T-shirt costumes work great for warmer atmospheres like a party, work, or warm weather areas. You can make so many characters and costumes starting with a t-shirt!
Some of these projects require something to be put on the t-shirt like heat transfer vinyl, felt, or a cape. Some of the projects have fabric sewn onto them to turn the t-shirt into something more. Some of these projects are a t-shirt with added accessories to create the right look.
Which one is your favorite?
Do you like making costumes and sewing for Halloween? Check out these ideas!
- free patterns for costumes
- Upcycled costumes for Halloween
- DIY costume ideas
- Halloween sewing projects
- DIY hoodie costume ideas
- DIY classic Halloween costumes
Why Make DIY Costumes?
I love to make DIY costumes for my kids for lots of different reasons. I love that I can make something unique that they want and that they’ll love. We live in a cold area so I always have to plan costumes to be warm so that they don’t have to wear a jacket or coat over it.
I almost always save money by reusing fabric and clothing from my stash and around our home, and I have found that reusing clothing saves me time.
Homemade DIY costumes use stronger and more durable fabric that will last through months and years of dress up and play time. I love that the costumes will last longer than one night of trick-or-treating.
Where to get solid clothes?
I have a couple of different places where I look for solid clothing for children. It all depends on what I’m looking for and what I need.
- When I need a solid matching set (like a t-shirt and leggings or a sweatshirt and sweatpants), I first look at primary.com. There are so many basic options in all the styles I love.
- When I need a t-shirt or sweatshirt in a very specific color, I first look at Jiffy Shirts. There are so many colors in different t-shirt blends.
- When I need something fast and I’m not picky about the color, I look at Walmart* either for my pickup or shopping in person.
If you make something using this sewing project, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!
I believe small sewing moments can create great joy. Find your own “right” way to sew. -Heather