How to Alter Clothes
Clothing is made to fit an average body that doesn't exist. It's the average measurements of people done by doctors from more than fifty years ago. It's really hard to get ready to wear clothing fit you perfectly right off the rack. It's great to learn simple ways to alter clothes to get a beautiful, custom fit. A custom fit is the best way to make your clothing look well-made and expensive.
There are lots of ways to alter clothes like lengthening or shortening hems, taking in the sides or letting out the sides, adding darts or removing darts, lengthening or shortening sleeves, mending holes, etc.
A lot of these clothing alterations work well for women's clothing, but the majority of these work for all: men, women, and children. You can always take clothing in, and you can often let clothing out by using the seam allowances or adding fabric.
The Basics of altering clothing:
- Put the garment on with the correct underwear and shoes on.
- Check to see if the seam lines are in the right place.
- What parts of the clothing need to be taken in or let out?
- Is there a seam where you can take in or let out?
- Satefy pin the excess to measure how much is needed.
- Do the alteration by seam ripping open all the sections and taking in or adding fabric.