Make this super easy DIY ghost costume for Halloween! There are more details than just a sheet which make it great for walking and running!
I decided to really get into my kids Halloween costumes this year since they are old enough to request and appreciate the costumes. I actually made them as easy as possible, but they look pretty complex. I loved watching their faces as they saw their Halloween costumes come to life.
Learn how to make an easy DIY ghost costume! I sewed my son’s costume, but you can also use fabric glue or some unique cutting to create the same look.
There are affiliate links in this post. I only link to things I recommend. All opinions are my own.
DIY Ghost Costume
When I planned my son’s ghost costume, I knew he wanted to look really scary and I wanted to avoid the sheet over the head look. I thought it would be hard to deal with in a seat belt and running around Halloween night. (He does love running around in his ghost tee made with a free ghost svg cut file which is much easier to handle!)
Instead I decided to make him an artistic, abstract “Charles Dickens” inspired ghost. I made him a white long sleeved tee combined with white mismatched sweater pieces. I also added white tulle pieces all over and hanging off.
Then I made him a pair of skinny white pants with more tulle pieces on them. I didn’t want people to be able to tell if he was an old ghost or a young ghost or what time period he came from. I got him white shoes and a fake plastic chain to wrap around his neck and waist.
He is wearing a gray sweatshirt underneath the top and a pair of leggings under the pants because it was a cold night!
I painted his face white and his eyes black. Luckily, his hair is so pale I didn’t have to do anything to it. He’s going to have to wear layers underneath and maybe even a white jacket to stay warm since Halloween is often pretty chilly. He might even have to wear white gloves.
My son loves being scary for Halloween! Each year he tries to pick something as scary as possible. I’ve also made him a DIY werewolf costume, (which was the easiest of all the cotumes I’ve made), a vampire costume, and a pirate costume.
EASy DIY Ghost Costume Tutorial
It’s always cold on Halloween where we live so this is geared towards cold weather. Alter it for the weather of where you live.
- Make or buy a white sweatshirt. Add strips of white tulle hanging off of different parts of the sweatshirt. You can sew them on or use fabric glue.
- Make or buy white pants*. Add strips of white tulle hanging off of different parts of the pants. You can sew them on or use fabric glue.
- Cut out a large rectangle from the tulle. It should be as tall as your child’s shoulders and slightly wider than your child. I would say one and a half times wider than your child’s shoulders.
- Sew a white ribbon onto the top to tie around your child’s neck like a cap.
- Cut the bottom half of the white cape into strips for a fringe look.
- Add white shoes*, a fake chain*, and some face paint. I did a white face with black eye sockets.
If you make something using this tutorial, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!