My son is going to be a dragon for Halloween and has the best roar to go with it. I already had an awesome yardsale dinosaur costume but needed some wings to go with it. I made some simple DIY costume wings that look great and can be used for dragons, bats, etc.
Sometimes I just have to add my own accessories to costumes to make them extra special.
There are affiliate links in this post shown with a *. I only link to things I recommend. All opinions are my own.
DIY costume wings
- 1 yard of felt* in the color you want
- 3/4″ elastic for shoulders*
- 1/4″ elastic for wrists*
- sewing tools
1. My felt was a 36″x36″ so I folded it from corner to corner to get the widest wings. I drew a straight line for the top and three curves for the bottom. I made sure my points were kind of flat so they would be stronger. The wing tip point is about 2″ tall because I sewed the top edge down.
2. Cut out the wings. Cut out two V’s that will end at the point curves. Sew them onto the wings. Fold the top edge down 3/4″ and sew.
3. Measure your child’s shoulders (with costume) and cut two pieces of 3/4″ elastic. Sew them into a circle and sew onto the center of the wings.
4. Measure your child’s wrists and cut two pieces of 1/4″ elastic. Sew them into circles and sew onto the wing tips. (I cheated with my wrist pieces because I only had a tiny amount of elastic!)
That’s it! Wasn’t that so fast!? These can easily be whipped up as a last minute costume or costume addition.
If you make something using this tutorial, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!