When maxi dresses first became popular several years ago after a long absence in fashion, I thought it would be a short lived trend. Luckily, it’s still going strong! Maxi dress are easy to wear because it’s just one item, they are comfortable (secret pajamas!), and you can protect your legs from the sun. I have gathered a whole long list of free maxi dress patterns and tutorials to help you find your favorite. You could always use a short dress tutorial and just lengthen it. There are so many possibilities! What’s your favorite free maxi dress pattern?
Knit Free Maxi Dress Patterns – Tips for Sewing Knit Fabrics
- Soho Maxi Dress Tutorial – the ruffle detail along the neckline really sets this one apart from all the other patterns!
- Hint of Vintage Maxi Dress Tutorial – I love that this one was inspired by Downton Abbey!
- Boho Maxi Dress Tutorial – a simple maxi dress with a wonderful bohemian vibe
- Pleated Maxi Dress Tutorial – I love the pleats on the skirt. They create beautiful drape lines.
- Half Sleeve Maxi Dress Tutorial – this dress is really simple even with sleeves. The simple silhouette is easily dressed up.
- Classic Tee Maxi Dress Tutorial – This dress really is classic and perfect for every event.
- Simple Maxi Dress Tutorial – the empire waist is great for multiple body shapes.
- Ruffled Maxi Dress Tutorial – how cool is that ruffled fabric! All the interest and details can be found in the fabric.
- Simple Maxi Dress Tutorial – the simple drawstring neck makes this dress quick and easy to make!
- Sleeved Maxi Dress Tutorial – I love the gathered skirt and cuffed sleeves!
Woven Free Maxi Dress Patterns
- Yellow Sheet to Maxi Dress Tutorial – using a sheet for this dress eliminates some of the hemming!
- Side Slit Maxi Dress Tutorial – those side slits are the perfect detail.
- Summer Lounge Maxi Dress Tutorial – I love the gathered, tiered skirt and that you could use soft fabric that feels so good to wear.
Maternity Free Maxi dress Patterns
- Make Momma Happy 30 Minute Dress – It’s easy to make which is perfect for pregnant mamas!
- Crossover Maternity and Nursing Maxi Dress Tutorial – The crossover detail is brilliant!
Refashioned Maxi Dress Tutorials
- Short Dress to Maxi Dress Tutorial – fix all your short dresses with this refashion!
- Add A Skirt To A Shirt Maxi Tutorial – with the shirt already down the hardest part of the dress is done!
- Scarf Maxi Dress Tutorial – Using three scarves to make this dress is brilliant and easy. The hemming is already done for you!
Sign up for my newsletter to receive blog posts, sewing tips, and sales. Newsletter readers have access to a resource library with all my free sewing patterns.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!