This post may contain affiliate links indicated with a *. Read the full disclosure here
Learn how to make a lips shaped welt pocket with this fun sewing tutorial. It’s a fun Valentine’s day sewing project!
The best part of sewing is making unique and fun sewing projects. I made a playful skirt with Kiss Me Kate lips fabric and added a lip welt pocket with a free sewing pattern! This lips welt pocket tutorial makes adding a pocket to your sewing project easy!
There are affiliate links in this post.
I made a half circle skirt using the Kiss Me Kate Main fabric in white and added some pink exposed elastic*. You can buy this fabric on Amazon* or on Fabric.com*. The fabric is so fun and playful. I love the dots and all the different colors of lips. Here are my tips for using quilting cotton for clothes.
Pockets make everything better. If I didn’t add a welt pocket, I would’ve added side seam pockets with my free pattern.
I recently learned about Elsa Schiaparelli and how she invented clothing. I looked through a lot of her designs and just fell in love with her playful style. She had a jacket with lip pockets, and I decided to recreate in on a skirt.
I added a deep hem facing to weight the hem down and to help the hem from wrinkling. I can’t wait to wear this skirt for Valentine’s day! I think it’ll be perfect for the month of February.
Don’t miss this fun list of Valentine sewing projects!
Lips Welt Pocket Tutorial
- Sewing tools
- Lip colored fabric
- Free lip pocket sewing pattern – get it at the end of the post
Watch the video first and then use the pictures to further clarify the tutorial.
1. Cut out the lips from quilting cotton in a lips color. Transfer the line onto the fabric.
2. Cut out a piece of lips from interfacing and apply it to the back of the fabric lips.
3. Cut out a pocket and transfer the pocket lines. My lips are on an angle so the lines on my pocket are on an angle. If you want to do a straight pocket then rotate the line and rectangle to be parallel with the edges.
4. Cut out one more pocket and don’t transfer the pocket lines.
5. Pin the interfaced lips onto the sewing project. Sew a tight zigzag around the edges to attach the lips to the sewing project.
6. Place the pocket with the line right sides together on the lips. Line up the line on the pocket with the line on the lips.
7. Sew a rectangle around the line.
8. Cut on the line with two “V’s” right into the corners on each side without clipping any stitching.
9. Push the pocket through the hole.
10. You’ll need to pull the pocket and stretch the sewn rectangle a little to help it lay flat.
11. Press the area well to get the pocket to lay nice and flat inside.
12. You should see a nice and crisp rectangle for the hole.
13. Pin the remaining pocket right sides together to the other pocket.
14. Sew around the edges and finish them with your desired method.
You finished and you can store anything in your adorable lip pocket!
This welt pocket tutorial would be great for any applique shape!
Once you sign up for the newsletter, you’ll be emailed the password to access the library! If you make something using this tutorial, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!