If you have a sweater with sleeves that are too long, then this sweater sleeve refashion is for you. Add glitter elastic for a modern split sleeve look.
I’ve shared a refashion to lengthen sleeves and a refashion to add lace to a sweater cuff, but today I’m going to share what to do if your sweater sleeves are too long. Add some glitter to the sleeves for a stunning holiday sweater sleeve refashion.
There are affiliate links in this post.
When I was at the thrift store I was looking for cozy sweaters to wear and came upon this simple gray striped sweater. I love the subtle stripe look, but when I tried it on I realized it was a men’s sweater. The color was great and I liked the oversize look, but I felt it needed a touch of glamour and something to fix the sleeves that were too long.
This tutorial is great for sweater sleeves that are too long, but if the body is too long here’s how to shorten a sweater.
I added some silver elastic to the wrists and opened the cuff for a lovely split sleeve hem. When I move my hand the sleeves have some movement which was exactly what I was going for. If glitter isn’t your thing, you can do a lace sweater sleeve refashion instead.
I know I couldn’t chosen a brightly colored sweater with brightly color glitter elastic that would look stunning in pictures, but I knew I wouldn’t wear it when I was done. I love wearing gray, so I chose gray so that this sweater would be worn instead of catching your eye online.
- Sweater with a tighter knit (this won’t work on a loosely knitted sweater)
- Glitter elastic*
- Sewing tools
Glitter Sweater Sleeve Refashion
Watch the video and then read the tutorial below.
1. Measure the elastic around your wrist to find a comfortable length.
2. Put the sweater on and mark where your wrist is.
3. Cut two pieces to the comfortable circumference of your wrist.
4. Sew the two short ends of the elastic right sides together with a straight stitch.
5. Slide the elastic on the sweater sleeve where you marked the wrist. With the glitter facing away from the sweater, pin the elastic to the sweater.
The elastic will be smaller than the sleeve so you need to distribute the excess sweater evenly.
6. Stretch the elastic to fit the sweater.
7. Sew the elastic to the sweater sleeve. Stretch the elastic as you sew. Sew two straight lines on each long side of the elastic.
8. Flip the sweater sleeve with seam side up. Cut through the seam up to the elastic.
8. Zigzag each raw, cut edge of the seam. The sewing will stretch and distort the sleeve slightly which is what you want.
9. Pull the zigzagged section and the full edge of the cuff to stretch it out completely. This will had movement to the cuff which will add to the split sleeve hem look.
Don’t worry if you accidentally get a little hole in your sweater, use this sweater mending tutorial.
If you make a glitter sweater refashion, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!