This post may contain affiliate links indicated with a *. Read the full disclosure here
I can’t wait to share this second tutorial for Refashion Your Summer Wardrobe. Don’t forget to check out the past tutorials and enter the giveaway! It’s already been a great week!
I have fallen hard for the bell sleeve trend. Bell sleeves are so fun and so trendy for this summer! And they are surprisingly easy to create! Especially when you can refashion a tunic or a dress. I used a woven tencel tunic to make my bell sleeve top, but you can use a knit tunic or dress too. You can sew a knit dress or tunic the exact same way I sewed this woven top in this tutorial. This bell sleeve refashion tutorial is a step up from a dress to skirt refashion since there’s a little more work, but it’s still something you can make!
tunic or dress
1. Get your tunic or dress. Use a shirt you like the length of to cut the tunic into a shirt. Don’t forget to add hem allowance.
2. Hem the new length.
3. Cut the piece you cut off into two pieces. Cut them so they are the same length and height.
4. Sew the two short ends right sides together creating two circles.
5. Tack the seam allowance down at the hem.
6. Take out the hem on the sleeves.
7. Add two rows of basting stitches to the raw edges of the circles. Gather and pin right sides together to the hem of the sleeves. Even out the gathers.
8. Sew the bell to the sleeves.
9. Topstitch the seam allowance up towards the sleeves and away from the bells.
Enjoy your beautiful new top with beautiful bell sleeves! Bell sleeves are so fun for summer. Your arms are covered but there’s lots of air movement. I cannot wait to wear this shirt all summer long!