Learn how to make baby sandals from a sewing pattern. Use leather or faux leather for soft but protective shoes!
In my quest to not buy any clothes for my son this year, I decided to try to make some sandals. I made some for his Spring/Summer collection, but that first attempt had some flaws. This time I know what will work best for a busy toddler, so I’m sharing a free baby sandals pattern.
Free Baby Sandals Pattern
- Size 4 Sandal Pattern
- Vinyl, faux leather, or leather
- Sewing tools
- Elastic* – here are some ideas for finding elastic to reuse
1. Cut out the patterns.
2. Pin and sew the cut-out piece to the solid piece on the outside edge.
3. Sew straight lines down the center of the cut-outs to stabilize them.
4. I decided to cut out a thick vinyl piece to go right on top of the bottom piece. Trim the edges to match.
5. Take the two top pieces and sew them together around the edges. Pin if you’d like.
6. Trim the edges to match.
7. Line up the sewn bottom piece with the top piece and sew around the foot.
8. Fold the flaps in towards the foot and sew with a zigzag around the foot shape.
It should look like this.
9. Trim off the edges the extend over the foot shape.
10. Fold the front and back flap over 1/2″ and sew.
11. Cut two slits in the front to slide the side flaps through.
I pinned my flaps so I could try it on Henry. I then hand-sewed the flaps together.
12. Measure so elastic that fits around your child’s ankle. Slide it through the front and the back and sew it together. Hide the joining in one of the flaps.
That’s it! Now you have some cute, “free” sandals for the summer!
If you make something using this tutorial, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!