Use a spool to make a gorgeous Christmas ornament for a sewist. This Upcycled Spool of Thread Ornament is a great way to use up empty spools!
These ornaments are so fast to make that you could make a bunch for an ornament exchange. As someone who sews I would love to receive this ornament and hang it on my Christmas tree. This ornament would be a perfect gift for anyone who loves to sew, quilt, or craft.
There are affiliate links in this post.
You could get crazy with the thread colors, ribbon colors, and ribbon design. These thread ornaments would be so pretty hanging on a Christmas tree in a sewing room, or a Christmas tree dress forms! I also think that using a wooden spool of thread would give a really nice vintage look.
Do you love to sew? Try one of these sewing projects:
- Christmas sewing projects
- Sewing theme ornaments
- Dress form Christmas tree
- Sewing themed felt ornament patterns
DIY Upcycled Spool of Thread Ornament
2. Gather your supplies. Remove any thread and stickers from the spool.
3. Using the hot glue start gluing start wrapping the embroidery floss around the spool.
4. Keep wrapping until the whole spool is covered. I alternated between two different colors of floss.
5. Keep all the raw cut ends of the floss on one side of the spool. Don’t worry about the back looking bad; we’ll cover it up with the ribbon.
6. Cut a piece of ribbon long enough for the loop at the top. Thread it through a hole on the spool.
7. Tie the ends of the ribbon together to form a loop. Glue the knot inside the spool of thread, and then glue the ribbon along the back to cover the ends of the thread.
8. You can be finished with the ornament if you like this simple look.
8. Or you can add some ribbon in decorative loops around the spool. I love the ruler ribbon that adds a nice touch to the ornament.
If you make a Christmas ornament for a sewist, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!