- Bias tape
- Sewing supplies
1. Make a dress or get a dress to alter.
2. Find the center front of the neckline and draw a line that is the length of the zipper.
3. Cut on the line.
4. Finish edge with the bias tape.
5. Pin the zipper carefully over the bias tape so it lines up at the top. Fold the top and bottom edges of the zipper tape under.
6. Sew next to the teeth and on the edge of the zipper tape with a straight stitch.
I finished the sleeves and neckline with black binding. The hem has a black velvet band to give it a nice finished look, and it’s heavy enough to keep my dress down while I’m wrestling a toddler or baby to be quiet. The zipper front makes nursing so easy which keeps me and baby happy! Learn how to fix a zipper if the pull came off.
This dress was perfect for the wedding which was absolutely beautiful. The love was almost tangible.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!