(No new camera yet.) I finished the other version of the pattern I used for my chambray shirt. When I made the chambray shirt, I was confused about some of the construction methods. After making this version, all the methods made sense because the pattern was made for this shirt to work.
I used basic white cotton and doubled each piece, so it’s not transparent. It’s more formal than what I usually wear which is good. It gives me something to dress up in when I need to.
I couldn’t decide what buttons to use so I asked on facebook what I should do. (If you like answering questions, follow my facebook page, because I put up questions every once in awhile.) Come join one of these sewing groups on Facebook. Thanks for all the responses! It really helps me figure out what to do. Here’s how to open a buttonhole.
I decided to go with the plain classic buttons. I felt like it went better with the shirt. If I would’ve had vintage fabric, I would’ve used the vintage buttons.
Now I need to make a cute pencil skirt to wear with it!
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!