This post may contain affiliate links indicated with a *. Read the full disclosure here
I finally finished Henry’s new puppy dog coat! Let me just say, I love how it turned out. A lot of times when I make something there’s always one little part that bothers me. Not this coat. I love every little detail.
I made my own pattern, and if you follow me on facebook, you saw that the first hood was more like a bunny. Come join one of these sewing groups on Facebook. I was inspired by these animal coats. I wanted mine to look like a dog, but a little less literal and a little more like a peacoat. The buttons are real horn and look like sharp teeth (They were the most expensive part of the whole coat). I used vinyl for the loop and toggle base.
I think the floppy ears and the little tail add so much. They are really fun details.
The gray fabric is a treated sweatshirt fabric that repels fabric. The white fabric is fur and is on the front and a small piece on the inside. The patterned fabric is a cotton pillowcase from Ikea. I did a special treatment to it to make it warm and durable, and I’ll be doing a tutorial on it soon. I’m so glad I found this fabric instead of using other fabric I had on hand. It makes it masculine and interesting.
The best part is when he bends over the tail sticks up like a real dog, and the wind blows his ears like dog ears too.
This is probably my favorite finished project I’ve ever made. Or at least the one I’m most proud of.
This little dog is ready for a cold winter!