When I am looking through racks of clothing, I don’t look at every single item of clothing. I skim the racks looking at the fabric. I look for prints that catch my eye and fabric that looks new. When I like it, I ask myself certain questions before putting it in the cart.
In this section the stripes caught my eye. (I’m a sucker for stripes. Stripes ALWAYS catch my eye.)
Can you guess what I looked at it this section?
I check each one before I put it in my cart, and I check again before I checkout. I have two weeding processes; it’s hard to get to come home in my cart. Here are the questions I ask:
- Check the closures. Does the zipper work? Do the snaps work? Learn how to fix a zipper if the pull came off.
Are there buttons missing, and if there are, are they easy to replace? Are there belt loops missing? Has the elastic lost it’s elasticity?
- Do you like everything but one part? Can that part be easily removed?
- Are there stains or marks? Is it worth it to spend the money, even if you try to remove the stain, but it won’t come out?
- Are there tears or popped seams? Can they be fixed? Is it worth
your time to fix it or will it sit in your to-do pile?
- Check the cleaning instructions. Is it very delicate or dry clean only? Is it worth it to pay for dry cleaning or put in the time to take care of the delicacy?
- Do you love this item enough that if you go home, you’ll think about it for the next couple of days? (I’ve totally done this and am learning to recognize when I really love something.)
- Do you have to alter it to make it fit? Is it worth the time to alter it? Will it sit in your to-do pile forever?
- Are you getting it because you need or want it, or are you getting it because it’s a dollar? Don’t get it because it’s on sale, only get it if you love it.
This vest had a popped seam, but it wasn’t lined so it was a very easy mend. It was worth it.
While thrifting you find awesome stuff, (Once I found pleather maternity pants!) but you don’t have to buy every awesome thing. Like these two baby items, I didn’t buy the tattoo one-piece but I did buy the retro vest.
I hope this addressed some questions you might have had!