I had some leftover lace that I cut off of a wedding dress hem. I cut it into four pieces and added it to the shoulders and sleeve hems. I cut out the coral fabric underneath at the hem of the summer sweater. I really like the juxtaposition of the casual drawstring casings next to the delicate lace and delicate sweater fabric. I made it long so I can bend over and chase my children and tuck into skirts. Here’s how to hem lace.
Pattern: I drafted it myself. I made it loose and long with a funnel neck. I decided to add the drawstrings and lace after cutting it out. I wanted something similar to this burdastyle pattern which I’m planning on buying this Fall.
Fabric: $2 hacci sweater like fabric from the sale rack at Walmart
Time: 2 hours
Cost: $1.75 fabric (I didn’t use the whole two yards) and $.25 for the twill tape for drawstring.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!