Well, I ordered some maternity tank tops to wear under some of my maternity shirts. I didn’t get to try them on so I knew they wouldn’t be perfect fits. Well, I like how they fit and I have some room to grow except they are pretty low cut in the front.
I put on my tank and tried pinching up the shoulders. The armholes are big enough that when I raised the shoulders, the arms weren’t cutting into my armpits. If you want to do this, make sure you still have room under the arms.
I measured that I wanted a 1″ pinch, meaning I needed 2″ total to come up.
Flip straps inside out, mark the amount you need from the shoulder seam and pin. I marked in white so you can’t really see that I marked 1″ down.
Sew across. I sewed with a straight stitch because I don’t need this area to stretch. If you’d like to keep the stretch, sew with a zigzag. Then trim to 1/4″.
Because I didn’t care how mine looked, I sewed a topstitch across the top to keep the seam allowance towards the back. If you care how yours is going to look, stitch on the stitching that’s already there to hide your stitches.
That’s it! Now you have a tank that fits the way you want it too! Hope you’re enjoying your last days of summer!
If you also want sleeves on your tank you can add sleeves to a dress. I love that you can get the coverage you want with this tutorial!
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!