Learn how to make a cute onesie out of a cardigan with this free sewing pattern! This upcycling pattern comes in size 0-3 months.
I’ll admit it; I love cardigans. I love cardigans on myself, on little boys, and especially on babies. I had some girly cardigans in my stash that needed to be made into baby onesies for my daughter, so I made a free pattern and tutorial for you to make your own onesie cardigan!
It’s even a simple and quick gift to make for baby shower gifts! I just love baby sewing projects!
Use a cardigan with fun details to make an extra special cardigan! I love sew clothes for babies!
It’s great for layering and for tummy time.
what is a pdf sewing pattern?
A PDF pattern is a sewing pattern designed on the computer and organized so that it can be printed on several letter or A4 size pieces of paper.
I love using PDF sewing patterns because if the pattern gets ruined or if my children or I changed sizes, I can always print it again. It’ll never be destroyed since I have a digital version!
how do you use a PDF sewing pattern?
Open the PDF on a computer and click print. When printing make sure that the scaling is set to 100% or no scaling so that the pattern prints at the correct size.
Once the pattern is printed it can be taped together to get the full size. Then the pattern can be cut for each pattern piece size or individual sizes can be traced so that the pattern can be used again and again.
FREE Onesie Cardigan Pattern
- Free onesie cardigan pattern, size 0-3 mos
- One cardigan
- Sewing supplies*
- 20 inches 1/4″ elastic* – here are some ideas for finding elastic to reuse
- bias binding –
- learn how to make and use bias tape
1. Use the pattern to cut out the onesie. Place the center front along the button placket and the center back along the center back. The sleeves can either be cut out along the sleeve cuff or fold the sleeve in half for a folded hem.
2. With right sides together sew the shoulders together. Finish the edges.
3. Tack the seam allowance towards the back at the neckline.
4. With right sides together sew sleeves onto the shoulders. Finish edges.
5. With right sides together sew sides together. Finish edges.
6. Tack the seam allowances towards the back.
7. Sew single fold bias tape onto the leg openings. If you want it to show, sew it on the inside first. Then fold it towards the front and sew close to the edge. If you don’t want it to show, sew it on the outside first. Then fold it towards the inside and sew close to the edge.
8. Insert 10″ of elastic into each leg opening tacking at the ends.
9. Use the bias tape to finish the edges of the crotch. When you sew it on, fold the bias tape around the edges to give it a finished edge.
10. Attach some snaps or add buttons or buttonholes!
Put the onesie cardigan on your baby to enjoy all the adorableness!
Look at those perfect baby legs in an adorable onesie cardigan!
I tried to get a smile, but she cried whenever I put the camera up to my face.
If you make something using this tutorial, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!