My sister gave me this beautiful fabric for my birthday, and now I get to wear it as a cute skirt. She made a great blazer with it and was kind enough to give me the leftovers. (Only fabric lovers love getting leftover fabric, right?) The fabric is a floral jacquard with coral and ivory.
I just love wearing pencil skirts. They make me feel so feminine.
I did really struggle with the zipper. I installed an invisible zipper twice and it still didn’t work. I do love invisible zippers because I can sew an invisible zipper without an invisible zipper foot. The fabric frays so easily, so I couldn’t keep seam ripping the fabric. The fabric was too thick at the waistband so it kept breaking the zipper. To fix it and make it actually possible to zip on and off I just cut out the invisible zipper. Then I just sewed a basic ivory zipper on top of the seam. It looks like an exposed zipper even though it wasn’t originally planned that way.
I have had this outfit planned since I first made this polka dot shirt and had the skirt cut out next to it. I just love the contrast and play on the patterns. Sorry, I didn’t put the outfits on. The kids have been sick and not napping very well or too well, so it’s just the clothes today. Have a great weekend!
If you ever break a zipper here’s how to fix a zipper if the pull came off. This sewing trick works for invisible zippers, separating zippers, and regular zippers. You can also learn how to sew a zipper.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!