I used the top part of the Alissa wrap top sewing pattern to get the wrap bodice and sleeves right. I shortened the bodice by three inches so it would come right under my bust. Then I added a wrap circle skirt to make it a dress. It came together quickly and easily. I made it midi length since it’s cold and wintery. The hardest part was to hem all the edges. It took a long time, but a double needle made it a little easier. I’m glad I took the time to put it all together and make the hems nice. It’s a great basic and classic dress that I’ll happily wear. Here’s how to use a twin needle.
I really wanted a pale gray color like the movie, but I had this pretty turquoise cotton spandex jersey fabric that seemed a little more winter appropriate. And I LOVE the color. It fits into my capsule wardrobe perfectly. I can’t wait to pair it with vests, cardigans, tights, and boots.
I really wanted to take pictures on a cliff like in the movie, and I do live near some cliffs. The weather wasn’t cooperating though because either I was in the sun or in the snow. So instead of getting some pretty open views behind me I got some stunning snowy mountains famous in the rockies.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!