This first one is a basic long sleeve maternity tee with a partial button placket. I used the Cara Maternity tshirt sewing pattern and added the placket for a nursing-friendly shirt. (I actually wore it today, a week and a half post-partum, and it worked great for nursing.) I also added length to the body and the sleeves.
I didn’t like any of the knit partial button placket tutorials I found online, so I decided to make my own. I found this way of construction in an old 90’s sewing book and have used it a couple times on kidswear. I think it looks the best from the outside. Go check out the Henley Tee Tutorial to see it!
I loved wearing this maternity tee while I was pregnant. I wore it often, almost weekly. I used a pretty lavendar cotton spandex jersey fabric. I just love cotton spandex fabric. It’s soft, comfortable, and returns to shape so well. I usually use a medium weight and rarely have problems with tunneling. (I got this fabric from a friend who sells me his leftover fabric from his warehouse.)
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!