This is the most comfortable and flattering way to wear shorts. I have a chambray version that I wear with all my patterned tees, and this is my fun floral version that I wear with all my solid tees. I made these floral Tania Culottes earlier in the summer and wore them weekly, and now I’m finally getting around to blogging about it.
We went on a little family trip this summer, and these floral Tania Culottes are what I brought with me. It was perfect for traveling. It was comfortable to wear in the car while driving, and it was comfortable for walking around in the heat.
I used the Tania Culottes pattern just like my chambray culottes. I did the same alterations of adding 1/2″ to the rise and 1/2″ to the hem. I added side seam pockets, eliminated the zipper, and added an elastic waist back. I shared the tutorial for this on Megan Nielsen’s Design Diary. The elastic back version is so comfortable and easy to wear when it’s hot.
I used a floral rayon challis from Fabric.com* that I bought about a year go. I bought it at the same time as this striped rayon challis. Those two rayon challis fabrics feel very different from each other. The striped rayon is very drapey and very fluid. The floral rayon feels more like a lawn or really light quilting cotton. This rayon challis was easier to use than any other rayon challis I’ve used. It wasn’t slippery at all. When I let the chambray version hang the bias stretched out a ton. When I let this floral version hang the bias didn’t stretch out at all. I hemmed it without trimming edges off. Here are some tips for sewing rayon.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!