Today I’m joining the Women’s Bundle Up tour! I was excited to join in, but I had such a hard time deciding which pattern to review because there were so many great patterns.
I chose the Malibu Misses Dress pattern and the Mykonos Tankini pattern. They are cute patterns and perfect for summer. Now I’m ready for a long summer of swimming with my babies!
I chose to make the malibu dress into a swim cover because I need something cute and easy to cover myself while toting the kids and swim supplies to and from the pool.
The changes I made were instead of adding rib knit to the edges I used elastic. I attached elastic to the edges and folded it over once. It gives it a nice edge, and it was something I had on hand.
I did the knee length hem and the shortened the front for a hi-lo hem. I love hi-lo hems! This rayon spandex jersey is a really soft, light fabric. It was a little hard to work with, but it turned out beautiful.
I did a lot more alterations for the Mykonos tankini. I chose the triangle top and short bottoms. Learn how to sew a swimsuit.
For the top I used the top ruffle and left off the other two. I lengthened it two inches, but I should’ve lengthened it a lot more. Unfortunately, I was using some remnant fabric so I didn’t have enough, but I love wearing navy so I just used what I had.
I think I’m going to figure something out to lengthen it somehow. Also, Instead of halter straps I did two spaghetti straps.
For the bottoms I added a waistband and elastic so that it comes up higher. I also shortened the shorts a little because I wanted short shorts for swimming. The great thing is that this navy Mykonos Tankini matches my Albion Fit swimsuit so now I have pieces to mix and match.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!