Today our guest is Rachel from Imagine Gnats! She is fun and sweet and makes awesome patterns. Isn’t Handmade Halloween ideas so fun!? I love what everyone has done so far! Don’t forget to check out all the DIY Halloween costume round-ups on Sewistry, or some vintage Halloween inspiration over at Make It Handmade! (Have you entered the $150 giveaway yet?)
hi! i’m rachael from imagine gnats, and today i’m sharing a tutorial for the ladybug cape my daughter wore for halloween two years ago. we’re big fans of capes around here! they’re easy to make, can be used for fun dress-up play once halloween has passed, and you can usually complete your costume with clothing already in your drawers.
this cape is made using 1 yard of red felt and 1/2 yard black felt (both 36″ wide). making your own cape is an inexpensive alternative to store-bought items, plus using felt instead of fabric means you don’t have to finish any edges so this can be whipped up in a jiffy!
1. fold red felt in half, then fold in half again to form an 18″ square.
2. use tape measure and straight pins to measure and mark semi-circles 3″ and 18″ from folded corner.
3. cut along both curves, just inside of the pinned markings, to create the cape.
4. cut along one of the straight fold lines between curves to create the cape front opening.
5. using the 3″ circle cut out in step 2 as a template, cut out 12 polka dots from the black felt.
6. pin and stitch polka dots to the cape, trimming edges as needed.
7. at the neckline of cape front opening, stitch buttonhole on one side and sew button on other.
want more inspiration? you can find these handmade halloween tutorials and ideas on my blog: DIY cat mask (with printable template), dorothy and a cheetah, toddler-appropriate tinkerbell, abby cadabby tutorial, and halloween printables.
thanks to Heather and Palak for inviting me here today… i wish you and yours a very safe and happy handmade halloween!!