Today I’m sharing a simple drawstring tutorial for the tshirt romper. I used a women’s french terry tunic to make this romper, but it’ll work with any knit tee, tunic, or sweatshirt with a good amount of stretch. (learn how to sew french terry fabric.)
Here’s a list of all the variations!
Drawstring waist tshirt romper
- Tshirt, tunic, or stretchy sweatshirt
- Baby Tshirt Romper: Free One-Size Pattern or Multi Size Pattern to Purchase
- Sewing tools
- Ballpoint sewing machine needle*
- buttons or snaps – I like these KAM Snaps
- 5/8″ stay tape*
- 14″ of 1/4″ elastic*
- Optional: ribbon
1. Construct the romper using the tshirt tomper tutorial.
2. Mark 4.5″ up from the center front of the inseam facing. Line up the bottom of the stay tape with this line.
3. Sew along the bottom and the top of stay tape around the waist with a straight stitch. Stretch the romper slightly as you sew to keep the stretch in the romper. Leave a 2″ hole to insert elastic.
4. Insert the elastic with a safety pin or bodkin.
5. Overlap the elastic edges 1/2″ and sew strongly together.
6. Sew the hole closed.
7. Optional: tie a bow in the ribbon. Sew two straight lines through the bow right onto the center front of the elastic casing to look like a drawstring.
If you make something using this tutorial, I’d love to see! Please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade and tag me!