- Sweater, sweatshirt, cardigan, long-sleeved tee, etc.
- Sewing tools
1. Cut your top on center front (if using a cardigan the front will already be cut.).
2. Measure the center front. This is the height of the scarf.
3. Measure from bottom of center front, up around the neckline, and back down to the bottom of center front. This is the width of the scarf.
4. Cut out the scarf. Mine was 55″ x 20″.
5. With wrong sides together, sew one side of the scarf to the center front at 1/4″. Flip the seam around so now it’s right sides together and sew again at 3/8″. (This is a French seam and encloses all the edges.)
6. Do the same with the other side. That’s it!
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!