I bought some gorgeous polka dot chambray fabric* from fabric.com. (Sorry, it’s not available anymore.) It is gorgeous fabric and a dream to sew with. I just love, love it. And I love this button up shirt. I forgot how many buttons go on the front of a shirt and I should’ve added one or two more. I’m slightly nervous that it’ll gap a little at my bust, but I can’t change it now. Here’s how to open a buttonhole.
I like my button up shirts really long, almost like a tunic. I like to wear them with leggings or tuck them in which both need extra length. I used the long sleeve blouse pattern and added length to the sleeves and the body. Besides that I didn’t alter that pattern at all. It’s a great pattern and I can see myself using this pattern multiple times in the future. (I was melting in these pictures. It was only 9am and already over 80 degrees.)
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!