This post may contain affiliate links indicated with a *. Read the full disclosure here
Of all the rooms in our new house, the my two oldest kids’ shared bedroom was probably the worst. It’s not that I hated the individual colors in this room, I just hated them all together. Two walls were a squash color, the other two rooms were red with black marbling, all the trim was black, the closet doors were navy blue with black antiquing, and the bedroom door was red with black marbling. There was also striped curtains with all of those colors on them. All the colors and textures made their shared bedroom feel tiny and dark. This shared bedroom was the first project we tackled before we moved in. Now that it’s finished, it’s probably one of my favorite rooms in the house.
After we got the walls painted white, we painted the trim a navy paint, Behr Velvet Rope*, that was pretty close to the closet door color. I thought that navy over black would be much easier than white over black. I also like the idea of the kids playing, and I don’t have to worry about scuff marks on the baseboards.
Above the dresser I hung a bunch of pictures. The letters were purchased and painted to match the painted thrifted frames. The two pictures in the middle are personal to the kids. One is a painting that reminded my parents of me that now reminds me of my daughter. The other is a painting that my grandfather did who we named my son after. I love that they get to look at them everyday. The lamp is from IKEA, and the basket is a hand-me-down that holds all their stuffed animals.
It was amazing how open and big the kids’ shared bedroom felt after painting the walls white. It just opened it right up. I love the white and navy next to each other.
We got the bunk bed, rug, and turquoise bookshelf (it was last chance clearance) at IKEA.
The light was also from IKEA but I wrapped rope around the top and the bottom to personalize it. I love the look of the rope and actually wish I would’ve done more rows. The elephant clock, the personalized superhero print, and the personalized circus print is from their last bedroom. We keep their shelf really empty since we want their shared bedroom to be for sleeping. They do have lots of books on the bottom shelf, money banks on the top shelf, and the wake up light and sound machine on the top.
This striped curtain has been decorating for us since my son was born. It’s a tablecloth from IKEA that had a small misprint. I sewed two rows of tassels* on one side and added a casing. It’s really good at blocking light. I also created really inexpensive roller blinds. I used dandelion home decor weight fabric* and doubled it. I added two buttonholes to the top and then a casing on the top and a casing on the bottom. I screwed two hooks into the top of the window which I inserted into the buttonholes and onto a dowel that was in the casing. I also added a dowel to the bottom casing, so I could roll up the “blinds” and tie it at the top. It’s pretty amazing how much light is blocked by the blinds and curtain.
The tie back is a basic white tie back* that I wrapped with rope.
Check out the nursery I did with a planked wall.