My daughters love animals. They have to stop and touch every animal and bug that they see. I made them some animal silhouette hairclips with a free pattern that I’m sharing with you today!
Don’t miss the giveaway at the end of the post!
This post was sponsored by Thermoweb. All opinions are my own. There are affiliate links in this post.
I have a free template for each animal: a fawn, a unicorn, a flying bird, a butterfly, and a cat face. Which one is your favorite? Get the free pattern at the end of the post!
I added some metallic details with make them even more fun, and it’s a great way to personalize these clips. My little girls love anything glittery and shiny! Some have all-over color and some have just some hand drawn details.
I saw a deer hairclip on Pinterest years and years ago, and I finally created my own for my little girls. I love the simplicity of the silhouettes with just a touch of gold.
Do you have a cat loving girl in your life? Make them a cute kitty face! The hand drawn details have a much more organic look.
- Felt* – I use acrylic craft felt
- Double Sided Iron-on Adhesive* (on Amazon*)
- Deco Foil Liquid Adhesive* (on Amazon*) or Deco Foil Fusible Spray Adhesive* (on Amazon*)
- Deco Foil Transfer Sheets* (on Amazon*)
- Alligator hairclips*
- Hot Glue Gun
How to Make Animal Silhouette Hairclips
1. Either print or trace the free animal silhouette pattern onto the double sided adhesive. I didn’t have the printable double sided adhesive so I traced my animals. It didn’t take very long.
You could also import the pictures into your cutting machine and cut the felt that way.
2. Cut the double sided adhesive into small individual animals to iron onto the felt.
3. Iron the adhesive onto the felt choosing the colors you want.
4. Cut out the animals using the traced lines. Don’t forget to cut out the details.
5. Peel the paper backing off of the adhesive and place it onto another layer of felt. Iron it on binding the two layers together.
I chose to do the same color of felt for both sides, but you could do different colors if you wanted.
6. Cut out the animal shapes again using the shape of the felt. Don’t forget the details!
For All-Over Color:
7. Decide which animals will have all-over color. We will use the spray adhesive for this transfer.
8. Spray one side of the felt with a thin but entire layer of adhesive. Wait ten minutes for the adhesive to dry.
9. Place a transfer paper color side up on top of the adhesive side of the felt. Place a press cloth over the transfer sheet. Press well and move the iron slightly to get even heat.
10. Wait one hour for it to cool. Peel off the transfer sheet to reveal the beautiful color underneath.
For Hand-Drawn Details:
11. Use the liquid adhesive to draw designs on the animal like whiskers, stripes, or spots. Wait one to two hours for the adhesive to dry.
12. With the transfer sheet color side up, place it over the adhesive. With your fingers and fingernails, rub the sheet over the adhesive to get the color to transfer. This creates a really organic and soft look.
For tips on using liquid adhesive and Deco Foil sheets use this graphic tee tutorial.
For all hairclips:
13. Hot glue the clips onto the back of the felt animals.
Enjoy your gorgeous animal silhouette hairclip!
I love alligator clips the best because they really grab and hold onto my daughters’ hair. It’s the best way to keep the hair out of their face. I think the unicorn silhouette would look amazing colored with a rainbow transfer sheet!
The pattern can be found in my subscriber library which can be accessed once you sign up for my newsletter! It can be found with the other free cut files!
Use the form below to enter the giveaway:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Watch the video and read the tutorial for all the information. If you can’t see the video then turn off your ad blocker to be able to watch it! It also could be in the right side in the sidebar.